Friday, August 2, 2013

Le deuxieme oeuf

I almost missed it!  Thinking about it, it is pretty easy to tell when a hen is about to lay.  Just like any mother to be she is a bit agitated and she settles into her laying box.  I am very happy that she is using the nesting boxes.  So far one egg at one end of the coop and the second on the opposite side.
The second egg!
It is all very strange.  I still don't like the idea of taking their offspring but I also don't know any of the eggs to be fertile, even though we think Chestnut to be a rooster.

The eggs are small, about 2/3 the size of the eggs we get from our local farm.

double gates yet to be painted.
I built the gates day before yesterday and got the hinges put on yesterday.  I am pleased with the result.  Hope to paint later today.  Funny that the chickens can actually fit thru the balustrades but choose not to.

No comments:

Post a Comment