Friday, August 2, 2013

August brings!?? Egg.

This morning Betty was staying in the coup when all the rest of the girls were out foraging, as usual.  When I went to find out how she was, I saw that she was scratching around in the nest boxes and in the last box was this little brown egg.
The chickens have become hens
well, at least one of them has.
Our first egg.
In truth, I myself am not that interested in eating the eggs.  I have become less inclined to eat any kind of animal food over the years.  Eggs, if there is no rooster around to fertilize them, are not going to become animals, and are in fact just food for somebody yet, a snake, worms, plants (in the form or rot or compost), and even for the hens themselves.  So, why not people?  This starts to become something better discussed on my "ReasonablePath" blog.
So now the little garden is a step closer toward being a micro farm.
We still don't know if Chestnut is a hen or a rooster.  That bird is just larger, with more plumage and seems to lead the others.  Seems like a rooster, but I don't know.
I candled the egg with a flashlight but couldn't even see a yolk.  We gotta get more straw for the boxes and more calcium in the birds diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment