Sunday, April 21, 2013

New chicken door/venting

The chick/kids are out enjoying the warmth the sun puts into the low tunnel.
Dot and Auburn dig in for the afternoon.
 The low tunnel was at 105'f when I took them in this afternoon.  Outside it was in the 50's.  Since the whole thing is wrapped in plastic for maximum heating we usually vent it this time of year by just opening the doors on each side.  With the chicks inside I wanted to create a venting system that would protect them still.  So I made a chicken wire door that hinges on the opposite jamb from the plastic door.
New Chicken door!  Ginger looks out at the world.
 I figure this is pretty temporary as the season will change quickly, so I used what I had.  I had just deconstructed a shipping palette I had gotten from the scrap bin at the lumber yard and this seemed just right.
packing strap hinges work pretty well for this application.
I used some packing straps that I had also scavenged to make the hinges.  The door is kept closed by the frame of the opposite door.  When I want to close the plastic door for the night, I just open the one and close the other, simple.  Now I can check up on the birds from the kitchen window, and get in and out of the low tunnel easily.  Now if I can just figure out a good way to round them up when it's time to come in for the evening.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds weird, but up at Lummi we would use a big net to catch escapee chickens. It was pretty much a large fishing net, with a metal handle & frame. They did get a little tangled on occasion, so a super fine mesh net would be better.

    ReplyDelete