Thursday, April 4, 2013

Chicks, Day 3

So this is the third day we have had the chicks.  I have been reading a bit, trying to find out what we should be doing, and what we shouldn't be doing.  So far, it seems that a few of the common opinions we have gotten wrong, but some right.
The chicks seem well.  They are active and they drink their water, and eat their food.  I am a little concerned that we might have been giving them too much food, as one source warns against, but in truth, they did seem to be self regulating when the food dish was in the brooder.  Just in case, I removed the food and will but it back in about mid day.
Feathers coming in on the wingtips.  I added this stick for them to roost on and it works!
Sometimes as many as 3 have been roosting at once.  All the wood chips are from my boat shop projects
and is yellow pine.
 They seem to be warm enough, even though the thermometer is reading only 80-85 degrees f.  I am using a  100watt R lamp about 15 inches above them and at one side of the brooder. The common consensus is that if they are huddling under the light for warmth, they are too cold.  They are some times under, usually one at time, but mostly they sleep in the middle of the brooder.  this makes me think that they aren't to hot, in which case they would be as far from the light as possible, but also warm enough, in which case they'd be right under the light.
Left to right: Tetra tint (back), Red sex link, Brown leg horn, Red sex link.
They are really cute when fuzzy, and their feathers have increased in number already.  The preen, or pluck at their fuzz and reveal more feathers as they do.  When I first added the roosting stick they just hurdled over it, then somebody stayed on top of it, then they all started taking turns.
I am completely rethinking my coop idea.  The one I have will probably work but I think I want something more incorporated into our existing buildings so that heating in the winter will be easier.
I will be sad to see all the fuzz traded for feathers but I will be glad to see them grow up a bit and be less fragile.

No comments:

Post a Comment