Thursday, May 23, 2013

3 days in their new home

The Chickens are in their coop, have been for a few days now.  The first night I left the light on for them.  They have lived with a light/heat lamp since they were born.  It was probably more challenging for me than them, although they did peep a bit and sounded really sad, or scared, or concerned.
"Chillin" on a rainy day.
Last night I turned the light on at dusk and when it was dark and they were all inside I turned it off without a peep from them.  We are starting to figure out a routine.
The coop has a bit of a prison feel to it now with all the wire and netting up, but with the news that a family of fox are in the area, and have taken birds from my neighbor, I suppose none of it is too extreme.
coop with wire and netting and chickens
We spent a moment to get the "cafe" in order.  The porch has that feeling with the chiminea and the orange tree and the table.
We have Locally grown oranges in NY state.
They are only the size of a quarter, but hey.

Things are growing here!
Potato, squash, onion.

Asparagus

Little tiny grapes to be!
In the background is the "terrace" garden that
has gotten regraded this year.
7 foot tall deer fencing is going up around the perimeter, to keep the deer out and the chickens in.  I am making fence post from downed trees so it is a bit slow.
I also started digging a hole for the young apple tree that is in a pot.  We started it from seed.

No comments:

Post a Comment